References are sometimes incomplete, but Mendeley affords you to complete the missing fields manually. Follow these steps to check and complete references.
Checking references on Desktop Application)
- Open the desktop application
- Click on All documents (left menu)
- Click on the reference you want to check
- A pop-up screen will open on the right hand side of the screen
- Check the fields carefully
- Is it a journal article, if not, change the type of reference
- Check all fields
- If changes are needed, just click next to the name of the field and add the information
- Note – you can add a file, so you can search for the PDF’s you want to add and save it with the reference. Saving the PDF’s provides access to another affordance of Mendeley – you can annotate it and the annotated reference will be saved with comments and highlights to reduce time wasted when you need to check references
- Note: You can tick Unpublished work if you do not want to add your reference to the Mendeley catalog
- Use the search function next to Catelog ID’s to find information needed to complete references
- At the top of the pop-up page, click on details are correct to save the changes
- This note is only displayed if Mendeley think that the reference is not complete
- If it does not show, the changes will be automatically saved
This affordance of Mendeley is useful.
Found it useful? Please comment if changes are needed to improve the quality of the instructions.