1. Create a free account
The following steps should be taken to create a free Mendeley account. (Please note: Mendeley is supported by various browsers, but Google Chrome creates the least problems).
Follow these steps:
- Open Google Chrome
- Type http://mendeley.com in the address bar
- Click on Create a free account
- Complete the form (page will look similar to image below)
- I suggest using your gmail email address and not a work email address
- Click on Next (page will look similar to image below)
- Choose Field of study (drop down list)
- Provide information with regard to academic status (drop down list)
- Click on Create an account
- You will see a page similar to one in image below
- Use the email address and password you have used to create the account and sign in.
- Your account is ready to be used.
- In the following blog post I will explain the dashboard.
For now, you need to follow two more steps to be able to use Mendeley.
2. Download and install desktop application of Mendeley
Mendeley desktop allows you to insert citations into documents. At this stage, the following word processors are supported:
- Windows 2007 or later, including Office 365 for Windows
- Word 11 and Word 2016 for Mac (no previous versions)
- Lateste version of LibreOffice
(The desktop application allows you to work offline, just remember to sync when you can access the Internet).
- Scroll all the way down the web page you were taken to when you signed into Mendeley
- On the right hand side, find Download and Upgrade
- Click on Download Mendeley free
- It should provide you with the correct link (green) to download Mendeley for your operation system (mine is Mac OS – see image below)
- Click on the green link to download the desktop application
- Follow the instructions to install the desktop application
- Use the same email address and password for the desktop application
3. Install the Web Importer
The web importer imports resources direct from the Internet into your Mendeley account.
- On the right hand side of the Mendeley web page, find the blue block similar to the one portrayed in the image below.
- Click on the Add it to your browser link
- It will take you to a page explaining how to install the web importer for different browsers
- If you have decided to use Google Chrome, click directly beneath it on Install the Mendeley Web importer browser extension
- In the pop-up window, click on Add to Chrome in the green block (Image – wording is Added to Chrome since I have done that already)
- The Mendeley Web Importer will be installed to the right of the address bar of the Chrome browser (see image)
The last step before you can get started is to enable Microsoft Word to cite your references
4. Install MS Word Plugin
- Open the desktop application of Mendeley
- Click on Tools
- Click on Install MS Word Plugin (Note – mine is installed, therefore it changed to Uninstall)
- Follow the onscreen instructions
- You are ready to start citing your references
- Have fun!
I will explain the use of Mendeley in follow-up posts, numbering them from 01 so that you can follow it in sequence.
Please leave a comment.