I hold a PhD in Education, am an independent researcher and the managing editor for the AAEEBL ePortfolio Review (AePR) Volume 2, which will consist of three theme-based issues, namely Assessment (Issue 1, November 2017), Technology (Issue 2, March 2018) and out of classroom practices (Issue 3, July 2018). I am busy developing courses to support the continuing professional development of South African teachers. I am interested in technologies, but I am a pragmatist. Therefore, I need to understand if the integration of technologies can improve my own work, teaching, and learning.
- Director and owner of a startup Arendsig Akademie/Academy, a training solution for South African teachers.
- Managing Editor of the AAEEBL ePortfolio Review (AePR) from 01 June 2017. First task is to ensure that Volume 2, Issue 1 will be as good as the previous issues under the leadership of Russel Stolins.
- PhD (thesis) at University of Johannesburg (2012). Sosiale Netwerk Analise as metode om die deurlopende professionele ontwikkeling van die wiskundeonderwysers van ‘n sekondêre skool te bevorder. (Social Network Analysis as method to enhance the continuous professional development of teachers).I have used a Multiphase Mixed Methods framework to a) design, develop, implement and evaluate an online tool to enhance the continuing professional development of teachers and b) understand and predict the continuing professional development of the teachers from a Social Network Analysis perspective.Study leader: Professor Duan van der Westhuizen.
- M.Ed (thesis) at UNISA (1994): Die selfkonsep van die begaafde seun wat in die junior sekondêre skoolfase onderpreseer. The self-concept of the boy underachieving in the junior secondary school phase. Study leader: Professor JA Kapp
- B.Ed (Gifted Child Education) at UNISA (1991): All 12 modules with regard to B.Ed and Gifted Child Education, as well as Orthopedagogy and Educational statistics additional modules
- BA.Ed at University of Pretoria (1979-1981): Afrikaans 3, Geography 3, and Education 3 as majors, Engels 1B, Zulu 1, Afrikaanse & Nederlandse kultuurgeskiedenis 1, and Language endorsement AE.
- Psychology 1-3 (UNISA) 1993-1994
- Matriculated at Hoërskool Ermelo (1978): Geography, Biology, Afrikaans, English, German, and History
- International Computer Driving Licence (ZA169968)
REGISTRATION AND MEMBERSHIPS
- EDTP-SETA, as assessor, certificate number EDTP1050, including RPL-assessment and Technology assessment
- Registered at the South African Council for Educators
- International Golden Key Society
- International Network for Social Network Analysis
- Van Staden, C.J. 2017. Guidelines for integrating ePortfolios in distance education. The AAEEBL ePortfolio Review, 1(3), pp. 19-22.
- Van Staden, CJ. 2016. ‘n Leergeoriënteerde raamwerk vir eportefeuljeontwikkeling in afstandonderwys. Suid-Afrikaanse Tydskrif vir Natuurwetenskap en Tegnologie, 35(1), in druk
- Van Staden, C.J. 2016. A learning-oriented framework for integrating eportfolios in a post-graduate module in distance education. The AAEEBL ePortfolio Review, 1(1) pp 36-55.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2016. Ontleding van sosiogramme as manier om die doeltreffendheid van genetwerkte leer in ‘n skoolgebaseerde wiskundegroep te ondersoek. Litnet 13(3)
- Van Staden, C.J. 2016. Social Network analysis as method to assess collaboration. Invited to send a Viewpoint to the National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment, online published on 17 May 2017.
- Van Staden, C.J. & Mentz, E. 2014. Strategiee om die Suid-Afrikaanse professionele leergemeenskapmodel vaartbelyn te implementeer, Suid-Afrikaanse Tydskrif vir Natuurwetenskap en Tegnologie. 33(1), 8 bladsye.
- Van Staden C.J. & Van der Westhuizen, D. 2013. Learn 2.0 technologies and the continuing professional development of secondary school mathematics teachers. Journal for New Generation Sciences. 11(2), pp. 241-257.
- Van Staden, C.J. & Freeman, H. 1994. Die verhouding tussen Onderwys en werk. Vital 9(1), 23-32. ISSN 1019-9888.
- Van der Westhuizen, D. & Van Staden, C.J. 2012. The use of Social Network Analysis to enable effective professional development for Teachers. In T. Bastiaens & M. Ebner (Eds). Proceedings of the World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications. Chesapeake, VA: AACE
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Van Staden, CJ. 2015. Using networking interfaces to augment open and distance education. Future Managers: 4th International North South TVET ICT Conference, 15-17 September 2015, Lord Charles Hotel, Somerset West, Cape Town.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2014. Using Social Network Analysis to nurture cooperative learning. Paper presented at the Sunbelt XXXIV conference of the International Network for Social Network Analysis, St Petes beach, Florida, America, February 2014.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2013. Social Network Analysis: A new method to monitor the continuing professional development of teachers. Presented at the Sunbelt XXXIII conference of the International Network for Social Network Analysis, presented on 25th of May 2013 at the University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
- Van der Westhuizen, D. en Van Staden, CJ. 2012, The use of Social Network Analysis to enable the professional development of teachers. Virtual paper presented at the AACE-conference, Denver, America
- Van Staden, C.J. 2012. Using Learn 2.0 technologies for professional development – a Social Network Analysis perspective on learning, presented at the South African Technology Network (SATN) conference in Windhoek, Namibia, August 2012.
NATIONAL CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Van Staden, C.J. en Snyman, V. 2017. How to integrate eportfolios to improve student success. 4th annual Innovations in Teaching and Learning Technologies Conference. Global Links Corporate Training. 23rd of March at the CSIR’s International Convention Centre, Pretoria.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2016. Supporting the needs of open distance higher education students during the implementation of e-portfolios. Presented in Durban at the Siyaphumelela Conference of the South African Institute for Distance Education on 30th of June 2016.
- Van Staden, CJ. 2015. Using ICT to increase educational intimacy through acceptability and engagement. Teaching and Learning Conference of KBTS International. 17th & 18th August 2015, at Protea Hotel, Sandton
- Van Staden, C.J. 2015. Using an informal social networking site to support learning at an open and distance institute. Invited to present at the Social Media in Higher Education Conference held on 12th-13th of May 2015 at the Amabhubesi Conferencing Centre.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2015. Using Social Network Analysis to monitor self-directed and cooperative learning in an open and distance institute. Invited to present at the Outcomes, Assessment and Evaluation Conference held on 24th-25th March at Emperors Palace.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2015. Using social networking sites to manage self-directed and cooperative learning in an open and distance institute for higher education. Invited to present at the 2nd Annual Innovations in Teaching & learning Conference held at the International Convention Centre in Pretoria.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2015. How to interpret sociograms to manage knowledge in social networking sites. Invited to present at the 2nd Annual Innovations in Teaching & learning Conference held at the International Convention Centre in Pretoria.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2014. Nurturing lifelong online learning. Presented at the 7th E-learning Update Conference at Emperors Place on 22nd of July 2014.
- Van Staden, C.J. Using social networking sites to establish sustainable professional learning communities. Post-doctoral seminar held at Unisa on 17 September 2014.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2013. Sosiale Netwerk Analise as metode om die deurlopende professionele ontwikkeling van onderwysers te moniteer. Presented at the Academic Discourse of Northwest University on 21st of June 2013.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2012. Using Learn 2.0 technologies for continuing professional development of teachers. Invited to present at workshop for facilitators of the Gauteng West educational district.
- Van Staden, C.J. 2013. How can arend.co be used to provide online training in the use of technology in the classroom? Invited to presented on 13th of March 2013 at the workshop of Curriculum Services, Gauteng South
- Van Staden, C.J. 2012. Die gebruik van Leer 2.0 tegnologie om ‘n professionele leergemeenskap te vorm. Invited to present on 5th of September 2012 at the Lenteseminaar van die Universiteit van Pretoria.
- Managing editor of the brand new journal of the Association for Authentic, Experiential, and Evidence-based learning (AAEEBL) (2017-).
- Member of the editorial board of the AAEEBL (2016-2017)
- Independent researcher Unisa (2015-2017)
- Post doctoral fellow (NWU 2013-2014)
- Post doctoral fellow (Unisa 2014-2015)
- Independent researcher (Unisa Nov/Dec 2015, since 11 March 2016)
- Blind reviewer for SATNT (2015-)
- Blind reviewer for Litnet (2015-)
- Blind reviewer for National Research Council (2015-)
- Blind reviewer for Teacher end Teacher Education – academic journal Elsevier (2017-).
- 2014-2015: Lecturer of INTMAEU at the University of South Africa
- 1996-2008: Gauteng en Vrystaat Departement van Onderwys, Afrikaans (Gr 10-12), Geography (gr 1- & 11), Social Sciences (Gr8-9), Computer Studies (Gr 10), coordinator Goldfields schools Gr 9.
- 1991-1996: Senior lecturer at Vista University Welkom campus (Now part of CUT) from March 1991-Jan 1995., Taught Statistics (B.Ed’s), Education (1-3), Subject Didactics Geography & Afrikaans, practical teaching Lecturer (Northwest University). National coordinator of Subject Didactics Geography (1991-1995), liaised with my colleagues at the other campuses of Vista University, compiled the study material and all examinations for this subject on national level. Organiser of Saturday classes for the professional development of teachers in Goldfields, addressing the professional development needs of teachers in the Welkom area.
- 1984-1986: Free State Department of Education, Afrikaans EAT (grades 8-11), immigrant Afrikaans, Afrikaans Home language, Afrikaans 2nd language.
- 1989-1991: Free State Department of Education, Afrikaans EAT (grades 8-11), immigrant Afrikaans, Afrikaans Home language, Afrikaans 2nd language.